What Happens When There Are Errors in Your Closing Disclosure?
Title companies are tasked with the important responsibility of ensuring that all closing disclosures are accurate. Even the slightest mistake can have costly consequences. In this article, we’ll explore some of the reasons why errors on CDs (closing disclosures) can be so costly, both fiscally and reputationally for title companies.
What Are Closing Disclosures?
Closing Disclosures, or CDs, are one of the most important parts of a real estate transaction. They list all pertinent information about the property being sold or refinanced, such as the address, sale price, and who is responsible for paying which fee. They are also used to calculate the prorated amount of property taxes and homeowners insurance.
What Can Go Wrong With a CD?
A title company is only as good as its last CD. If an error is made on a CD, it can be very costly, both fiscally and reputationally. The most common types of CD errors include:
- The property is listed under the wrong address: If the title company lists the property under the wrong address, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to track down the correct information.
- The property is listed under the wrong name: If the title company lists the property under the wrong name, it can be difficult to determine who is responsible for paying which closing costs.
- The sale price or financed amount is listed incorrectly: If the sales price or loan amount is listed incorrectly, it can throw off the calculations for the prorated amount of property taxes and homeowners insurance.
- The closing date is listed incorrectly: If the closing date is listed incorrectly, it can cause all sorts of problems, such as delaying the closing or even causing the buyer to forfeit their deposit.
- The mortgage lender is not listed on the CD: If the mortgage lender is not listed on the CD, it can create problems when it comes time for them to review the document.
- The home buyer’s Social Security number is incorrect: If the home buyer’s Social Security number is incorrect, it can delay or even prevent them from getting a mortgage.
- There are errors in the calculation of prorated property taxes and homeowners insurance: If there are errors in the calculation of prorated property taxes and homeowners insurance, it can cause the buyer to overpay or underpay.
What Happens When There Are Errors in Your Closing Disclosures?
If there are any errors in your closing disclosures, you should first contact the title company. They may be able to fix the mistake without causing any further problems. However, if the title company cannot fix the mistake, it can cause all sorts of problems for the home buyer. The most common problems are:
Errors in closing disclosures can lead to fines, penalties, and shortages that must be covered. These costs can add up quickly, and they can seriously impact the bottom line for a title company. If there are errors in the closing disclosures, the mortgage lender may also refuse to give the buyer a loan. In addition, the buyer may have to forfeit their deposit.
A title company that produces inaccurate closing disclosures is seen as unreliable, which can cost them business. Clients may go to a competitor rather than deal with an organization they don’t trust.
If a title company must go back and fix errors in closing disclosures, it can take a lot of time and effort. This can delay the entire closing process, which is frustrating for everyone involved.
Dealing with inaccurate closing disclosures can be very stressful for everyone involved in the transaction. It can lead to disagreements and conflict and delay the closing process.
If any disputes arise due to inaccurate closing disclosures, the title company may have to pay for legal representation. This can be a very costly expense.
In short, errors in closing disclosures can be very costly for a title company. They can lead to fines and penalties, lost business, and legal expenses. Make sure your title company is prepared to avoid these costly mistakes.
Why Hire The Einfach Group LLC
At The Einfach Group, we understand the importance of accuracy when it comes to preparing CDs. That’s why we have a team of experienced professionals who are dedicated to ensuring that your CDs are prepared quickly and accurately. We also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so you can be sure that you’re getting the best possible service. We’re staffed 24 hours a day, and we’re ready to help you with all your CD preparation needs.
If you’re looking for a business process management partner that can prepare your CDs quickly and accurately, contact The Einfach Group LLC today.